Wednesday 23 July 2014

Who makes the best pizza in Malaysia?



Pizza might have originated from Italy but today everywhere you go there's a pizza joint which everyone goes to. I mean who doesn't like pizza right? I love pizza. The first time i had it was when i was 18years old, can you believe that? It was so embarassing to admit i haven't had one when friends talk about having pizza for dinner. I grew up in very traditional indian family where my dad only acknowledges spicy curry and rice being "food" and the rest garbage. Gosh... you have got no idea how i longed to taste that cheesy piece of pie. I know what you're thinking, well dad don't let you eat why not you buy one when you're out and try em' out. Sadly, i grew up in a kampung and that means no pizza in about 30km radius. I had to travel 40 minutes to 1 hour at least to a pizza joint which is to the nearest town, and to see the look on dad's face when i ask for permission to go into town. "NO!" was the usual reply. Dad was too conservative, that he thought if he didn't put those strict rules (I'd say a leash) then as kids we would be spoit like others, wondering around lepaking and smoking while our grade fall behind. I always thought the more you try to restrain the untamed horse the more it would rebel, well i did my share of rebelling but lets save that for another day. So where was i? Yes, no pizza joint near my place. I told myself when i'm out for college, then I get to do anything i want and so tried all the things and food i never got to try being in a restricted home. And boy... the juicy, cheesy pizza, that smelled so fresh and buttery was just amazing. 

I must say the first time i had one was simply from a bakery near to college so it felt like i haven't tasted the best yet. But i challenged to try all the different pizzas and decide for myself which one was 'THE ONE'. SO who's next on the list? Pizza Hut. Yes, so i headed for Pizza Hut one fine day and tasted their famous Hawaian Supreme. To compare to the bakery slice i had, Pizza Hut had a better pizza. Maybe it could have been due to the freshness of the pizza slice compared to the one from the bakery, which might have been on the shelf awhile before i took a bite. SO how to judge? Nevermind i thought. Let me visit another pizza joint to compare properly. Where do i go? Dominos Pizza. I must say, Dominos Pizzas were more cheesy and the best was the option for the customers to custom make their pizza by choosing the type of crust they want and add any other element to make them more tasty for example adding cheese on their already cheesy pizza or increasing the topping to make em' more compact depending on your tastebuds. That for me took the whole pizza to a different level. I know, i know... sorry i'm from the kampung remember? Anyway, after years of only choosing Dominos Pizza finally my husband and i, we decided to explore another joint, Papa Johns. Ok, i must say, the first bite i took, it was deliciously satisfying. Even though we don't have the option of custom making the pizza, but then truth is they didn't need to be, as they were simply superb the way they were. Adding anything else extra would only spoil the original taste. I can still remember how they smelled... when you open the box with a huge green pickled chily sitting inside to add the smoky chily smell and of course you can eat em' too. And the only other thing they give extra is a small container of butter. I suppose for you to dip the pizza before each bite, but i choose Tabasco sauce and chily flakes anytime. YUM!! Gosh my mouth is watering already.

Don't get me wrong,  until i step my foot in Italy I know I haven't tasted the real pizza yet. Once in a while we try making our own pizzas. The art of kneading the dough with the right amount of ingredients sometimes seems like a rocket science hard to master. But my husband does it well... with all the topping we like and a whole lot of cheese...and baked using pizza stone in a oven, suppose that's the closest we could come to a wood-fired-oven you see in Italy. The taste? Simply delicious. Anyway, apart from the three pizza joint i tasted from i must say i still choose Papa Johns. But my journey is still continuing, i would like to try other pizzas like Canadian pizza which also allows customers to add extras on their pizza,  Sarpino's Pizzeria which offers a wide range of pizza to choose from, Yellow Cab Pizza which i haven't heard anyone recommend though, and finally Vivo pizza. So let the game begin. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment